Unix Interactive Cluster Transition
May 3, 2016 -- IMSS has completed the necessary changes to prepare for the retirement of the older Solaris interactive cluster (its.caltech.edu) and transition to newer Linux systems. We encourage users to immediately begin accessing the new cluster by connecting via SSH or SFTP to ssh.caltech.edu. The older its.caltech.edu cluster will no longer be accessible after June 6. If you have any questions about this, please contact us (x3500, email@example.com, https://help.caltech.edu).
April 19, 2016 -- The Unix interactive cluster (its.caltech.edu) will soon be retired. These long-running Solaris systems will be replaced by new Linux systems, which will run concurrently for a brief transition period. Starting on May 2, 2016, IMSS will make changes to customers' dot files to minimize compatibility issues with the new Linux systems. Specific changes are detailed below and will be completed over a period of approximately one week.
IMSS will make the following changes to your dot files (if they exist):
- Renamed (without any changes to their content):
- .bash_login -> .bash_login.SunOS
- .bashrc -> .bashrc.SunOS
- .cshrc -> .cshrc.SunOS
- .login -> .login.SunOS
- .logout -> .logout.SunOS
- Created empty for you to customize as desired:
- Created with generic content that you should NOT modify, so that you can use the old and new clusters concurrently:
If you plan to make changes to your dot files, please follow these guidelines:
- IMSS does not recommend modifying these files:
- Please only make changes to these files on the old (Solaris) cluster:
- Please only make changes to these files on the new (Linux) cluster:
- Please do not change the name of any of the files listed above.
After the old (Solaris) cluster is retired, no further action is required. However, if desired, you may clean up the following:
- Delete the files ending in ".SunOS"
- Rename these files (overwriting the old ones in the process):
.bash_login.Linux -> .bash_login
.bashrc.Linux -> .bashrc
.cshrc.Linux -> .cshrc
.login.Linux -> .login