HPC Cloud Service
How does OneDrive for Business differ from OneDrive?
- OneDrive is Microsoft's free personal storage service for consumers which, while useful, is not affiliated with Caltech.
- OneDrive for Business is a more business-oriented Office 365 service that Caltech offers in partnership with Microsoft, and it offers additional protections for yourdata.
- Microsoft sometimes abbreviates OneDrive for Business to simply OneDrivewhich can cause confusion.As a general rule of thumb, if you access any resource namedOneDrive using your access.caltech credentials, you are using actually using OneDrive for Business.
I noticed that IMSS offers Box and OneDrive for Business which seem like similar services. What's the difference?
- Box and OneDrive for Business are similar in many ways, but they also offer different strengths. Here's a comparison.
How do I access OneDrive for Business using a browser?
- After logging in to Caltech's Office 365 page, OneDrive for Business is accessed by clicking the App Launcher in the upper left corner and selecting OneDrive from the list of apps.Again, even though the App Launcher refers to the service asOneDrive, it isactually OneDrive for Business.
How do I access OneDrive for Business from a mobile device? How do I review and edit files using a mobile device?
- You can access your OneDrive library from any iOS, Android and Windows Mobile device. Note that the OneDrive app for all 3 mobile platforms supports both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business accounts.
- You can also reviewandedit Office files in your OneDrive for Business library using Office Mobile for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile.
How much space do I get with OneDrive for Business?
- You get 1TB of OneDrive for Business storage.
Are there other limits for using OneDrive for Business?
- You can store and syncup to 20,000 items in your OneDrive for Business library, including folders and files.
- You can store and sync up to 5,000 items in otherlibraries, including folders and files.
- The maximum individual file size is2GB.
How do I add/upload files to OneDrive for Business?
- When using OneDrive for Business in a browser, you can either create new files in your library by selecting "new," or you can upload files to OneDrive for Business by clicking "upload" or by simply dragging and dropping files into your library (i.e. into the browser).
- Note that foldersuploads are not currently supported using OneDrive for Business in a browser, but multiple files can be uploaded simultaneously.
- For migrating larger volumes of data, a sync clientis recommended. Sync clients are available for Windows 7 & 8.x, and OS X.
- For those that prefer to use OneDrive for Business as a mapped drive, instructions to mount OneDrive for Business can be found here.
Where do I download the sync client for Windows or OS X?
- Windows 7 & 8.x customers:
- Open a browser and login to Office 365
- Click the Office 365 Settings menu (i.e. the "wheel" icon in the upper right of the Office 365 title bar) and select "Office 365 Settings" from the listed options
- On the Office 365 Settings page, select "Software," then "OneDrive" from the listed options
- Click the "Install" button to install the OneDrive for Business sync app. Note that the 32-bit app is recommended even if you're using a 64-bit Windows OS.
- For OS X customers:
- The OneDrive for Business Mac sync client can be downloaded here. Please note that the Mac client is currently a preview offering, but IMSS' indicates that it is stable.
- Note that selective synchronization of files and folders is not currently supported with eithersync client, butthis feature isexpected to be added sometime in 2016.
- If youprefer not to sync all of your OneDrive for Business files to your local PC/Mac, but like the convenience of the sync client,you can alsomount OneDrive for Business as a mapped drive. Instructions to mount OneDrive for Business as a mapped drivecan be found here.
What file types cannot be stored in OneDrive for Business?
- You cannot upload files with a *.tmp or *.ds_store extension. Additionally, you cannot upload desktop.ini, thumbs.db, or ehthumbs.db
- Additionally, you cannot upload some file typesthat are blocked on the SharePoint site. To see a default list of theunsupported file types, see here.
How does document version controlwork in OneDrive for Business?
- OneDrive for Business automatically keeps track of documentversionsfor common Office document types(Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote).
- You can view and restore up to 10 previous versions of thesedocuments.
Can I recover deleted items in OneDrive for Business?
- Yes, OneDrive for Business offers a Recycle Bin with a retention period of 90 days.
How do I share items in OneDrive for Business? click here for tutorial
How do I sync a library to my computer? click here for tutorial
How do I manage my information? click here for tutorial
How do I manage document privacy? click here for tutorial
How do I collaborate on documents? click here for tutorial
How do I share documents with people outside of Caltech? click here for tutorial
HPC Cloud Service