Static IP for Windows
The following steps will help you connect to the Caltech network. Follow these instructions if you have been issued a Static IP Address, and either your computer is plugged into a CITnet network port on campus.
Note that if you have not been issued a Static IP Address, you should configure your computer to use DHCP instead.
If you believe that DCHP will not meet your needs and you need a static IP address, information abou tThe Caltech IP Address Space is available, including how to request a Static IP Address and which criteria you must meet.
If you have a Static IP Address issued by Hostmaster, you'll need to enter all addresses manually, (IP, DNS, WINS, etc.).
- Open the Control Panel, then select Network and Sharing Center
- In the View your active networks section, click Local Area Connection or Ethernet
- On the Local Area Connection or Ethernet Status window, click Properties
- In the Properties window, select the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) or Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) connection and click Properties
- In the Internet Protocol properties window, select the Use the following IP address option if not already selected.
- Specify the IP address, assigned to you from the Caltech Hostmaster.
- For Subnet Mask, enter 255.255.255.0
- For Default Gateway, enter 131.215."subnet".254 (replace "subnet" with the actual subnet number you are on)
- Use the following DNS server addresses
Enter Primary DNS 126.96.36.199
Enter Alternate DNS 188.8.131.52
- For WIN address, enter 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11